0. Introduction and distribution of oral work. Brainstorming on what is Modernism
1. Charlie Chaplin: MODERN TIMES
ORAL REPORT: Modernism and Technology
Additional reading: Baudelaire "The Painter of Modern Life", Benjamin "Über den Begriff der Geschichte"
2. WWI Poetry
ORAL REPORT: WWI
3. Virginia Woolf: Jacob's Room
Additional Reading: Freud "Timely Thoughts on War and Death"
4. Rebecca West: The Return of the Soldier
ORAL REPORT: Homefront and Veterans' shellshock
5. Stanley Kubrick: PATHS OF GLORY
6. T.S. Eliot: "The Wasteland"
Additional Reading: T.S. Eliot "Metaphysical Poetry", "Tradition and the Individual Talent"
7. F. Scott Fitzgerald: "May Day"
8. Ernest Hemingway: The Sun Also Rises
9. Ford Madox Ford: The Good Soldier
ORAL REPORT: Freud's Psychoanalysis (repression and analytic cure)
10. King Vidor: STELLA DALLAS
ORAL REPORT: Modern Woman
11. James Joyce: Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
ORAL REPORT: Modern Fiction
Additional Reading: Woolf "Modern Fiction", " Mr. Bennett and Mrs. Brown"
12. E. M. Forster: Passage to India
ORAL REPORT: Colonialism
Additional Reading: Said Orientalism
13. Walt Disney: BAMBIAll students (whether 3 KP or 6 KP) must be part of one Oral Report Group. All students must do
ORAL REPORT: Mass Entertainment
one Sitzungsprotokoll. Students who are taking the course for 6 KP must, in addition, write a seminar